1 – Power BI Desktop provides advanced query, modeling, and report creation features that enables you to build data models, create reports, and share your work by publishing to the Power BI service. Power BI Desktop is a free download.
- To download the most recent version of Power BI Desktop, you can select the download icon from the upper right corner of the Power BI service, and select Power BI Desktop.
2 – You can also download the latest version of Power BI Desktop from the following download page:
Regardless of which way you choose to download, once Power BI Desktop is downloaded you’re prompted to run the installation file:
3 – Power BI Desktop is installed as an application, and runs on your desktop.
4 – When you launch Power BI Desktop, a Welcome screen is displayed.
From there, you can begin creating data models or reports, then share them with others on the Power BI service. Check out the More information links at the end of this article for links to guides that can help you get started using Power BI Desktop.
5 – Minimum requirements
The following list provides the minimum requirements to run Power BI Desktop:
- Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2, or later
- .NET 4.5
- Internet Explorer 9 or later
- Memory (RAM): At least 1 GB available, 1.5 GB or more recommended.
- Display: At least 1440×900 or 1600×900 (16:9) recommended. Lower resolutions such as 1024×768 or 1280×800 are not recommended, as certain controls (such as closing the startup screen) display beyond those resolutions.
- CPU: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86- or x64-bit processor recommended.